Official Website: https://globalwindday.org/
Global Wind Day is a worldwide event that occurs annually on 15 June. It is a day for discovering wind energy, its power and the possibilities it holds to reshape our energy systems, decarbonise our economies and boost jobs and growth.
Find out more windareyouin.com
According to the department of energy, wind energy provides the following benefits:
- It is one of the most cost-effective sources of energy.
- Wind energy is not dependent upon fossil fuels or coal, making it a clean energy source.
- It is a sustainable source of energy that will never run out.
Wind energy also creates jobs. In the United States, wind turbine service technicians are the second fastest growing occupation. Besides the U.S., many other countries are taking advantage of these benefits. Some of the top producers of wind energy throughout the world include China, Germany, India, Spain, United Kingdom, and Brazil.
HOW TO OBSERVE #GlobalWindDay
On this day, wind energy companies and organizations host a variety of events around the world. These events include educational seminars, visits to wind farms, wind turbine demonstrations, and parades. Here are more ways to participate:
- Learn more about the benefits of wind energy.
- Do a science project with your children that helps them learn more about wind.
- If it’s windy outside, do a fun activity like fly a kite, play with a pinwheel, or catch leaves.
- Find ways to determine the direction of the wind, such as using a weather vane or windsock.
- Watch the movie The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind.
Share a wind-related picture on social media with #GlobalWindDay.
GLOBAL WIND DAY HISTORY
The European Wind Energy Association (EWEA) organized the first Wind Day in 2007. In 2009 the EWEA joined forces with the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) and made it a worldwide event. In recent years, WindEurope and the GWEC have organized the day together. In 2012, the organizations sponsored a photo competition. People around the world were encouraged to enter photos that best captured the theme for the year. Recent themes have included “The Wind in Mind” and “Future Wind.”